Note: EE functionality will only be available if you have enabled it within your year group settings. Read more via Configuring & Enabling Extended Essay Worksheets
Navigating the Extended Essay
Via the Extended Essay Tab
Note: If you don't see the Extended Essay tab, enable the EE Worksheet under the Edit Year Group Settings page.
Via the Extended Essay > Proposals tab in your DP year group, you can access the EE roster. Click on any student's name to access that student's EE Worksheet. The EE worksheet contains a portfolio of EE documents, deadlines, and notes.
Students can enter or edit a topic by clicking Edit Proposal.
After choosing and entering the subject, topic and research question, the student can select an EE supervisor from the Supervisor menu.
- Only teachers who have been added to the system will appear on this list. EE Supervisors can also be assigned in bulk via the Year Group's Members tab which is covered in our tutorial called Assigning EE Supervisors.
- If certain subjects are not appearing under the Subject dropdown menu, you can reference our tutorial titled Selecting Your Subjects, Options, and Levels.
After clicking Save Changes, students can view upcoming EE deadlines and To-Dos.
Accessing the Journal, Assessment, and PPF Tabs
Click the Researcher's Reflection Space tab to review student entries. This section accepts entries as text, website, videos, photos, or files. The individual file size limit is 500 MB.
Click on the Assessment tab to assess the student's Extended Essay using built-in IB criteria. When complete, you can export your marks and comments directly to a downloadable PDF.
Click on the Planning and Progress Form tab to review students' first, interim and final reflections. Once complete, export the your comments directly to the officially-licensed IB EE RPPF.
Adding Deadlines and To-Dos
via the Extended Essay or Calendar tabs
You can create EE deadlines by clicking Add a New Deadline under the Extended Essay or Calendar tabs in your year group.
- Enter basic details (name, date, & time)
- Link the deadline to your Extended Essay. Note: It is not possible to link a deadline after it has been created, so it's importing to link at this time.
- Enable Dropbox to allow students to submit their documents through ManageBac.
- If you Enable TurnItIn, submitted coursework will be filtered through TurnItIn automatically.
- If you choose to Attach Files, they will be available when the student's access the deadline.
- Once you have clicked Add Deadline, the deadline will appear on the calendar.
Deadlines will appear on the student EE worksheet. To-Do items can also be reviewed and added via the worksheets tab.
You can also review the status of your students from the EE tab. The default view displays a list of the students assigned by advisor with key information such as Subject, Topic, Research Question and Status (Needs Approval, Approved and Complete)..
To view progress against a specific deadline, you can switch to the Deadlines view. This will allow you to see where each of your students stand relative to the global deadlines that have been set (e.g. submitting an outline, meeting with advisor, etc.).
Uploading EE Documents
Reference documents can be uploaded under the Extended Essay Documents section. If your account has been integrated with Google Drive, you will see the option to upload documents directly from your Google Drive account.
Adding Notes & Interviews
In the Notes & Interviews section you can leave messages for students to which they can reply. This is ideal for posting comments and scheduling meetings. You can also leave Interview notes, which are visible to staff only.
Via the Extended Essay Worksheet
After selecting your advisory student, you can scroll to the bottom of the Extended Essay worksheet to record an interview note. By ticking the Interview Note checkbox, your note will be saved with an Interview tag.
Interview notes can be used to record progress on a given date. These notes are not visible to students and can only be viewed by faculty, including the Extended Essay Coordinator and yourself as the EE Supervisor. This setting can be changed so interview notes are visible to students, as shown below.
Interview Notes Visible to Students
If you would like Interview Notes to be visible to students, please ask an administrator to enable the sharing of Interview Notes via Settings > Security & Permissions > check Browse Interview Notes.