- How to Get Started with DP Reports
- Creating Report Templates
- Configuring Rubrics & Options
- Proofing & Review
- Generating Reports
- Frequently asked Questions
How to Get Started with DP Reports
Review the overview video, along with step by step guidance on how report cards are generated on ManageBac:
How teachers enter grades & comments into Gradebooks
Report cards are integrated with class gradebooks, so the first step to generating reports is to have teachers enter grades and comments in their class Gradebooks.
Teachers will need to navigate to their class Gradebook > Term Grades tab to input term grades and comments.
- Comment: teacher comment, which can include additional formatting options like header or right to left text using the format buttons at the top of each comment box
- Grade: this appears as the final grade on reports
- Custom Rubrics: criteria to indicate anything else you wish to assess on (e.g. predicted grade, effort, participation).
How to lock / unlock gradebooks
Admins can lock and unlock gradebooks on by programme & academic term, this ensures grades are not changed after a certain date before reports are generated.
Logged in as an admin, navigate to Settings > Academic Terms.
- Select your programme
- Tick Restrict teachers from making any changes to term grades
- Save Changes
Please note that administrators will still have full access and editing permissions when gradebooks are locked, to ensure a seamless proofing and review process.
You can also access the Lock Term Gradebooks page via Reporting > Proofing & Review, on the right navigation panel.
Proofing & reviewing teacher grades
Once grades & comments have been added to classes, admins and teachers with access to Proofing & Review can proof & review gradebooks.
- Navigate to Reporting > Proofing & Review.
- Select your academic programme
Here you can view and edit grades information by student or by subject, and view student & staff reflections.
Reviewing Grades by Student
Click By Student to view and edit grades & comments from all classes that a student is a part of from the selected programme. Changes made on this page will also affect the gradebook in the class.
- Select the academic term
- Select the Homeroom Advisor
- Select the student assigned to the Advisor
- Review & edit grades & comments from classes the student is a part of.
Reviewing Grades by Subject
Click By Subject to view grades & comments of multiple students, shown by subject & class. Filter by class on the right navigation panel.
Designing Report Templates
Once grades have been reviewed, the next step is to build your Report Card Template to configure the look & feel of your report cards.
Navigate to Generate Reports. By default, a set of report templates will be built-in to your ManageBac account under each programme tab. You can customize these report templates and create new ones by clicking Edit Template besides the Report Template dropdown menu, or click Manage Templates to create a new template.
Configure each one of the tabs below to design your report:
- Overview: The Overview tab is the first page of your template, where you can name your template and customise the general layout of your report, enabling various sections & dragging sections around to reorder the sequence. Remember to click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
- Cover Sheet: Select the Cover Sheet tab to configure what will appear on the cover page of your reports. Here you can define the student fields to include and add report signatures (such as your Head of School or Academic Coordinator).
- Letter: On the Letter tab, you have the option to write a letter to the parents/guardians. The letter can be written using text or HTML. For HTML, select the HTML radio option and copy-paste your HTML text into the letter text box.For more elaborate text formatting options, please use the Rich Text Editor option. Click Preview on the left to review how the letter will appear on the PDF report.
- Summary: The Summary tab is used to show a summary of achievement from all classes within a given programme, as well as rubrics, comments and reflections.
- Class Reports: The Class Reports option will add one page for each class the student is taking. For Diploma & Non-IB programmes, we recommend this only if the course description and comments are very long or if you need to report on subject-specific rubrics.
- Grade Descriptors / Assessment: Depending on your academic programme, this may be called the Assessment tab or the Grade Descriptors tab. These fields are completely customisable so you can use them to add any other additional information.
- Attendance: If your school subscribes to the ManageBac Attendance Module, attendance data can also be added to Reports Templates by selecting the Attendance tab. You can then choose which data you wish to include. Attendance can be shown for Classes or Homeroom. Data will show based on the Academic Term dates or for the whole school year if Show yearly attendance is enabled. Homeroom attendance can be displayed on the Cover Sheet or Summary of Achievement.
- Additional Programmes: If students are enrolled in classes outside their programme, select the Additional Programmes tab to include additional programmes when exporting reports. For example, if your IB Diploma students are also in IB Career Programme (CP) classes, tick the 'IB Career-related Programme' checkbox and select a CP subtemplate.
Previewing & Generating Reports
Next, preview your reports before actually generating.
First, please confirm the following:
- Term: Select a term with the correct grade data.
- Template: Ensure that your selected template includes your desired information and excludes other information. You can easily adjust your template by clicking Edit Template, and you can have an unlimited number of templates.
- Years: Choose to generate reports for all year levels at once, or specify which years will have reports generated. (This setup allows you, for instance, to generate reports for Grade 11 using one report template, and then generate for Grade 12 using another template.) If you would like to include non-IB grades, tick the checkbox and specify the term.
- Next, give your report a Title (e.g. First Semester Report).
- Indicate the Preparation Date.
- Choose your Sort Order.
- Indicate whether you would like parents and students to receive email notifications. You can also send email notifications at a later time by clicking Send report notification e-mails.
Previewing Report Cards
Preview Individual Reports: Click this option to view an individual student report. This is a quick & easy way to see what report cards will actually look like.
Generate Draft: Click this option to bulk generate Draft reports for all students & classes in the year levels selected. Drafts can be found via the Reports History tab from the left menu.
Generating Report Cards
Once confident that reports are ready, click the Generate Reports button. A full PDF will also be generated and stored as a master copy in the list in the Reports History tab.
Note that reports are generated one at a time. Each report job may take up to 60 minutes, depending the number of students you are generating for and the time of year (Dec and May are busy reports seasons!).
Viewing Individual Student Reports
To view an individual report, navigate to the student’s profile and click Reports. The report card is available via PDF for parents, students, and teachers to view, and stays with the student profile for as long as the student has a ManageBac account.
Navigate to Reports History to download a zip file of all reports jobs (actual & draft). We provide each student’s report as an individual file.
Creating Report Templates
Via Generate Reports > Manage Templates
By default, a set of report templates will be built-in to your ManageBac account under the Generate Reports tab. You can customize these report templates and create new ones by clicking Edit Template besides the Report Template dropdown menu.
You can also create new templates via the Manage Templates button on the right menu. Click the Add Template button in the right-hand menu to create a new template. To edit a pre-existing template, select the template from the list on the page.
Via the Overview tab, here is where you can name your template and customise the general layout of your report, enabling various sections & dragging sections around to configure the sequence. You can also choose the page size, orientation and indicate whether or not to show page numbers.
Each section of the report can then be further customised via the tabs along the tabs at the top.
Template: Cover Sheet
Select the Cover Sheet tab to configure what will appear on the cover page of your reports. Here you can define the student fields to include and add report signatures (such as your Head of School or IB Coordinator).
On the Letter tab, you have the option to write a letter to the parents/guardians. The letter can be written using text or HTML. For HTML, select the HTML radio option and copy-paste your HTML text into the letter text box.
For more elaborate text formatting options, please use the Rich Text Editor option. Click Preview on the left to review how the letter will appear on the PDF report.
Click the Summary tab to select what will appear for each student in terms of grades, teacher or advisor comments, and which rubrics will appear on the report.
Template: Class Reports
The Class Reports option will add one page for each class the student is taking. For Diploma, we recommend this only if the course description and comments are very long. Here, you can also choose to report on additional rubrics.
Template: Grade Descriptors
Select the Grade Descriptors tab to customize your Grade Descriptors and Assessment Explanation - these fields are completely customisable so you can use them to add any other additional assessment information.
If your school subscribes to the ManageBac Attendance Module, attendance data can also be added to Reports Templates by selecting the Attendance tab.
You can then choose which data you wish to include. Attendance can be shown for Classes or Homeroom. Data will show based on the Academic Term dates or for the whole school year if Show yearly attendance is enabled. Homeroom attendance can be displayed on the Cover Sheet or Summary of Achievement.
Configuring Rubrics & Options
Via Settings > Diploma Programme > Assessment > Assessment Models > Term Grades
Via Settings > Diploma Programme > Assessment > Assessment Models > Term Grades, you can create new rubrics & options, which are completed by teachers together with their term grades.
Click Add Rubric to define your rubric title. There are three types of rubrics & options:
1. Criteria: this is a set of criteria that teachers will select as a dropdown menu (e.g. Effort grades may be set using a range of 5 to 1 with 5 being excellent effort and 1 being the worst).
2. Custom Field: this is a customisable field allowing teachers to enter in any type of text with a defined suffix (e.g. attendance in % terms).
3. Formula: Formulas allow you to calculate a rubric value based on Custom Fields or Criteria rubric values.
After adding the title of the rubric and selecting the type, click Create Rubric.
By hovering over the rubric title, you can see the pencil icon to edit the value and descriptors. After defining your rubric details, click Save Changes.
Once you have added your rubrics, they will be visible from the Term Grades tab, where teachers will be able to enter in values:
Enabling Rubrics to show on Reports
Enabling rubrics & options on your report cards is a two-step process:
1. To include the descriptors for the rubrics on the report card, enable the rubric on the Overview tab of the report template. Click Save Changes.
2. To show grades from rubrics applicable to all subjects, enable these rubrics via the Summary tab of the report template. Click Save Changes.
To show grades from subject-specific rubrics, enable these rubrics via the Class Reports tab of the report template. Click Save Changes.
Note that to show subject-specific rubrics on reports, 'Class Reports' must be enabled on the Overview tab of the report template.
Proofing & Review
Via Reports > Proofing & Review
Navigate to Proofing & Review > Select Programme. From here you can view and edit grades from all classes by Subject or by Student.
Search By Student to read and edit Term Grades and comments from each of the classes that the student is in.
Via the Reports tab
To generate your reports, please first confirm the following data:
1. Term: Select a term with the correct grade data.
2. Template: Ensure that your selected template includes your desired information and excludes other information. You can easily adjust your template by clicking Edit Template. You can have an unlimited number of templates.
3. Years: Choose to generate reports for all year levels at once, or specify which years will have reports generated. (This setup allows you, for instance, to generate reports for Grade 9 using one report template, and then generate for Grade 10 using another template.) If you would like to include non-IB grades, tick the checkbox and specify the term.
4. Next, give your report a Title (e.g. First Semester Report).
5. Indicate the Preparation Date.
6. Choose your Sort Order, and indicate whether you would like parents and students to receive email notifications.
After you have made your selections, preview the reports prior to generating final drafts. Click Preview Individual Report to preview how a student's report will look, or click Generate Draft to generate a draft report of all students in the selected grade level/s.
When you click Generate Draft the draft report will appear by programme on the Reports History page. It will not be visible to students or parents.
Once confident that reports are ready, click Generate Reports. A full PDF will also be generated and stored as a master copy under Completed Reports. These officially generated report cards provide data for student transcripts.
This will also generate a full set of report cards that are stored individually on each student’s profile.
Hiding Reports from Students & Parents
Via Student Profile > Reports
Hide reports from student and parent view via the student’s profile. Click Edit Profile to access the "Hide Reports Tab from Student and Parents" option.
In the Report Access section, tick Hide Reports Tab from Student and Parents and click Save Changes.
Admins and teachers will still able to view the reports when they are hidden. Only admins can hide or unhide the reports, while teachers will be able to see that the reports have been hidden.
Students and parents will not be able to access the reports tab. Note that reports e-mail notifications will also not be sent to students & parents if their reports have been hidden.
To unhide reports, untick Hide Reports Tab from Student and Parents, click Save Changes.
Students and parents will now be able to access and download any reports as per usual.
Updating Individual Reports
It is possible to update an individual student's report card. After making changes to a student's grades, navigate to Reporting > Generate Reports (see below). Select the correct term and template.
Note: The report title will not be updated through this process. Any updated reports will retain the original report title.
Click on Preview Individual Report, select the student, check Update Individual Report, and click Generate Preview.
Once this has been done, the report will be updated in the student's profile. If more than one report card has been generated for the given term, only the most recent report card will be modified. For example, if two report cards have been generated for (2017-2018) Term 1, only the most recent report will be updated.
If Update Individual Report is checked and the student does not have a generated report for the term, the preview still shows but does not update any report.
Individual report cards can be re-generated when:
- The student has an existing report card for the given term.
- The student still belongs in the same year group (e.g. re-generating a Grade 10 report for a Grade 10 student).
Individual report cards cannot be re-generated when:
- The student does not have an existing report card for the given term.
- The student has moved year groups (e.g. cannot re-generate a Grade 10 report for a Grade 11 student).
Note the report card will not be updated in the consolidated PDF nor on transcripts. To print the new report card, please download the PDF directly from the student’s profile.
Enabling CAS & EE Assessment
Via Settings > IB DP > Assessment > Assessment Models > Term
You can edit values and descriptors for any Rubric via Settings > IB DP > Assessment > Assessment Models > Term. Enable the assessment rubrics for EE or CAS Term Grades by ticking the boxes for CAS and Extended Essay.
Click the CAS tab to open the rubric. Hover over the title and click the blue pencil icon to edit the selected rubric. Click Save Changes when edits have been made.
Assessing CAS & EE
To provide CAS marks and narrative term comments, navigate to your CAS roster via Year Groups > Select Year Group > CAS. Click Submit Term Grades on the right navigation panel.
Provide marks and submit your comments for each student.
Follow the same process to submit marks and comments for EE. Navigate to the year group EE tab and click Submit Term Grades.
To display the marks and comments on report cards, navigate to Reports > Manage Templates > Select Template > Overview. Tick the boxes under Diploma Core to display CAS and EE Progress on the Report.
Adding Term Goals & Reflections
via Settings > Academics
You can enable Term Goals and Reflections Questions for response in Student Profiles via Settings > Select Academic Programme > Reflections. The Reflection Question responses can be added to Reports, however, the Term Goals will be view only in Student Profiles.
via Student Profiles
Students can respond to the term goal and Reflection Questions you added in your account settings via Profile > Reflections. Be sure to Save Changes after responding.
Add the student reflections via the Reports > Manage Templates > Select Template > Overview > Reflections. This will show the Student Responses to Reflection Questions on the Report. It's not possible to include the term goal.
Creating Multi-Programme Templates
Multi-Programme Report Templates allow students who are taking classes in multiple programmes to have all their classes on the same report card. The sub-template will pull classes from other programmes into the report card template for the main programme the student is assigned to.
For example, a student assigned to an IB Diploma year group may have a non-IB High School class added to their report, via the High School sub-template, when IB Diploma reports are generated.
They would not also have a report card created when the High School programme reports are generated, as they are not part of the High School year group.
Via Generate Reports
Navigate to Generate Reports. Additional programmes can be included on reports by adding subtemplates to your Report Template. Click Edit Template or you can create new templates via Manage Templates.
There are two categories of templates:
1. Templates are the parent (i.e. main) templates and determine the overall design of the report card.
2. Subtemplates are the child templates that can be added to the main templates to show additional programmes. The subtemplate inherits the configurations & design of the main template.
Via Manage Templates, click the Add Subtemplate button in the right-hand menu to create a new subtemplate or click on an existing subtemplate to edit it
Adding Additional Programmes via the main Template
Via edit template, navigate to the Additional Programmes tab. Here subtemplates can be added, edited or deleted.
Via the Overview tab of the subtemplate, configure where you wish to show the additional programme on the report card, and whether to show rubric descriptors from the additional programme:
1. Summary of Achievement
2. Class Reports
3. Rubrics & Options
Note: If Class Reports or the Summary of Achievement are disabled in your main template, ManageBac will follow the main template, and these will not be included on reports. To show these items, they must be enabled on both the main template & subtemplates.
Click the Summary tab to select what will appear for each student in terms of grades and which rubrics will appear on the report.
Note: Rubrics & Options will only be shown if Grade Descriptors are enabled on the main template (via the template 'Overview' tab, otherwise they will be omitted.
The Class Reports option will add one page for each class the student is taking. Here, you can choose to report grades and subject-specific rubrics.
Note: Rubrics & Options will only be shown if Grade Descriptors are enabled on the main template (via the template 'Overview' tab, otherwise they will be omitted.
Once additional programme subtemplates have been added to the main report template, navigate to Generate Reports and select the following:
1. Programme: Select the programme of your main template.
2. Template: Ensure that your selected template includes the additional programmes you want to add to your reports.
3. Term: For each additional programme, select a term with the correct grade data
4. Years: For each additional programme, choose to generate reports for all year levels at once, or specify which years will have reports generated.
Displaying Student Photos on Reports
To show student photos on your report cards, you must first bulk upload student profile photos on the system. Click on Settings > Import Manager > Students > Import Student Photos to begin. Upload a zip file of your student photos, with each photo name matching a student ID.
Photos should be in PNG, JPEG, or JIF format. For best results, we recommend portrait photos with the dimensions 300px by 300px. Please ensure that each photo is less than 1 Mb.
Once the photos have been uploaded, you can then navigate to Generate Reports. Select your report template and click on Cover Sheet. Tick the box for Student Photo.
Your student reports will generate with the student photo on the cover.