- Introduction to Engagement
- Managing Student Engagement QuickStart Guide
- Accessing Engagement Analytics
- Overall Engagement Status
- How is the Overall Engagement Status Calculated?
- What are the Criteria for each Engagement Status?
- How is each Criteria tracked?
- Sorting & Filtering Engagement
- Sending Student Engagement Reminders
- Engagement Analytics Permissions
- Future Updates
Introduction to Engagement
Providing high-level views of your school community engagement
Tracking engagement, especially during remote or hybrid learning, is critical to ensuring the success of students. With our Engagement Analytics you are able to quickly get a high level overview of all the students and where they are in terms of their engagement with learning, based on their activities in ManageBac. You will be able to quickly identify those who are in need of intervention and direct reach out.
The analytics allow you to see how many tasks and lessons have been completed along with last login, attendance and more coming soon. Based on these data, students will be identified in one of four categories, allowing easy identification for who needs immediate support, who needs come guidance and who is highly engaged with their learning.
Engagement Analytics will support teachers, administration and counselors as they work hard to support student learning. By tracking the analytics through actual student work within ManageBac, it removes the need to manually identify and provides the real time data needed to plan the best learning experience for students.
Note: We recommend these analytics are used in partnership with the various ways that you can Track Student Activity on ManageBac and Establishing Login Expectations for your Parent Community.
Managing Student Engagement QuickStart Guide
Accessing Engagement Analytics
Engagement Analytics can be found via the Engagement Analytics tab on your admin user Dashboard left menu.
- Programme: Select the academic programme at the top of the page, such as IB Diploma.
- User Type: In future, additional user types will be available, for now, this defaults to Students.
- Term: Filter for a particular Academic Term at the top-right dropdown.
Overall Engagement Status
Under Student Engagement Analytics, students will be grouped by their overall engagement status, into one of the 4 categories:
- Not Engaged (the least engaged status)
- Highly Engaged (the most engaged status)
Hover over each status to view a list of students. You can navigate directly to their profile to follow up or review their coursework by clicking on their name.
How is the Overall Engagement Status Calculated?
A student is placed in a particular overall engagement status if they meet at least one of the criteria for that status. If they meet criteria across multiple statuses, they will be placed on the bottom-most status.
In the example above:
- Chloe is Highly Engaged for Last Login, as she has logged in in the last 3 days
- Chloe is Not Engaged for Online Lesson Attendance, as she has only attended 3 of her last 13 scheduled
- Chloe is At-Risk for Task Completion, as she has uploaded only 4 of the 8 tasks with a submission required
Thus on the overall status, she will appear as Not Engaged, as it takes priority.
What are the Criteria for each Engagement Status?
Each engagement status has its own criteria. The criteria are provided below:
- Last Login: More than 2 weeks since last login
- Online Lessons Joined: Less than or equal to 25% attendance for scheduled Online Lessons
- Task Completion: Less than or equal to 25% completion (uploaded to the dropbox) of scheduled tasks in the given term whose due dates have already passed.
- Last Login: More than 1 week since last login
- Online Lessons Joined Less than or equal to 50% attendance for scheduled Online Lessons
- Task Completion: Less than or equal to 50% completion (uploaded to the dropbox) of scheduled tasks in the given term whose due dates have already passed.
- Last Login: More than 3 days since last login
- Online Lessons Joined: Less than or equal to 80% attendance for scheduled Online Lessons
- Task Completion: Less than or equal to 80% completion (uploaded to the dropbox) of scheduled tasks in the given term whose due dates have already passed.
- Last Login: Less than 3 days since last login
- Online Lessons Joined: More than 80% attendance for scheduled Online Lessons
- Task Completion: More than 80% completion (uploaded to the dropbox) of scheduled tasks in the given term whose due dates have already passed.
How is each Criteria tracked?
Each criteria tracks specific elements. The elements are provided below:
- Calculated by any active session to ManageBac made by the user. This is based on student activity in the system each day, and is not affected by 'Remember me for 30 days' or Single Sign On activity. To learn more about how we calculate 'Last Access' data, click here.
Online Lessons Joined
- Calculated by if the student actively joined the Online Lesson link in ManageBac, for those scheduled with past dates in the given academic term.
- This does not measure the attentiveness or time spent in the Online Lesson.
- Online Lessons are only counted in the Engagement analytics if they are linked to a unit and are started in Presentation Mode. Otherwise, they do not count towards the tally of Online Lessons and do not affect student engagement analytics.
- Calculated by dividing the number of tasks the user has submitted files for by the number of tasks with the dropbox enabled. Any task with dropbox not enabled is not included, as there is no direct action point for the student to take on ManageBac.
- This only looks at tasks with due dates in the past for the given academic term. Tasks with forthcoming dates are not included, as the due date for the student to upload has not happened yet.
- Please note: There is no direct assessment of Homeroom Attendance provided here, and it does not impact where the student falls in their Engagement Status. However, recent attendance status of Present, Absent, Late or Sick are provided for context, as this may have impacted why the student was unable to attend Online Lessons, Login to ManageBac, or Complete Tasks required.
Sorting & Filtering Engagement
Click the Sort dropdown to sort by:
- Alphabetically: The default sort option. This lists students alphabetically by their Last name.
- By advisor: Students will be grouped by their Homeroom Advisor. If you are assigned to any students, they will appear at the top of the list under Your Students
Click the white Filter button to expand the filter options.
- Classes: Select for particular grade & class levels (i.e. Selecting Grade 8 will filter for Students in Year Group Grade 8 and their Grade 8 classes)
- Engagement: Select to view particular Engagement statuses for Not-Engaged, At-Risk, On-Track and Highly Engaged
Click the blue Filter button to confirm your filter selection. Click Reset to clear the filter.
Searching for Students
You can use the search bar to find a particular student by their name. Any selected Sort or Filter options will remain.
Sending Student Engagement Reminders
If students are falling behind or need additional support, School Administrators are able to select students individually or by cohort, and send them personalized bulk email & mobile push notifications.
Review the default reminder template at the top-right via Edit Student Reminder Template.
You can customize the notice to provide additional guidance or next steps for your users via the text box and using rich-text editing options. Click Save Changes. Clicking Reset to Default will remove any edits you have made, and return to the default provided by ManageBac.
Select the individual students you wish to remind via the left-hand check-box, or click the box at the top to select all from those you have filtered, such as Not-Engaged.
Click Send Student Reminders. Note, this will instantly send the reminder email notification.
Engagement Analytics Permissions
Student Engagement Analytics are available to Administrators on your school's account. It is also possible to permit teachers and advisors to access according to their Permission Settings. Permission options include:
Full Access allows teachers to view Engagement Analytics for all Students.
Class Members and Homeroom allows teachers to view Engagement Analytics only for the Students in their Classes and Homeroom.
None does not allow teachers to have access to Engagement Analytics.
Students & Parents do not have access to view Engagement Analytics or Statuses.
Configure Default Permissions
Via Settings > Permissions, Security & Privacy > Teachers & Advisors > Default Permissions
Configure default permission settings for all teachers & advisors at your school via Settings > Permissions, Security & Privacy > Teachers & Advisors > Default Permissions.
Configure Individual Permissions
Via Teachers & Advisors > Individual Permissions
Configure settings for particular teachers & advisors at your school via Teachers & Advisors > Individual Permissions. Find the user's row, and select from the dropdown under Engagement Analytics. Click Save Changes to confirm.
Configure Permissions for a specific Teacher or Advisor
Via their user profile
Configure settings for a particular teacher or advisor by searching for their name in the global search bar. Click on their name to navigate to their profile > Edit Profile > Permissions. Select from the dropdown under Engagement Analytics. Click Save Changes to confirm.
In future updates, we will be looking to expand this feature. Stay tuned for:
- Exporting options
- Sending Notifications to users with low engagement status
- Engagement charts
- Analytics for additional user types