View a demo on configuring attendance settings, assigning advisors for Homeroom Attendance and importing timetables for Class Attendance.
Homeroom vs Class Attendance
Assigning students to Homeroom Advisors permits the advisor to:
- Record Homeroom Attendance via the Dashboard
- Leave Advisory Comments
- Review Term Grades
- Give rights to record and review Behaviour notes.
- Homeroom Attendance is recorded via Homeroom.
- Does not require the configuration of timetables or periods.
- Can be updated by the student's assigned Homeroom Advisor.
- Enable Substitute Recording for all teachers in the class to record Homeroom Attendance.
- Grant certain users permission to the Attendance Manager to update across all year levels.
- Advisors can be assigned via:
- An individual Student Profile (To update 1 user)
- Via the Year Group (To update all students at a year level)
- Importing in bulk (To update all students across multiple year levels)
- Class Attendance is recorded via Classes > selecting your class > Attendance. (Note: Your class might be called "Homeroom", but recording here will save Class Attendance.).
- Generally only used if you record attendance more than once per day, or wish to record attendance in specialist classes.
- Requires configuring attendance Rotation (weekday or rotation cycle), Periods and class Timetables.
Click here to see how to record Homeroom or Class Attendance.
Assign Homeroom Advisor to a Student
Navigate to a student's profile by searching for their name via the Global Search Bar and clicking on the student's name.
On the right-hand side, you will be able to see their currently assigned Homeroom Advisor, if any. You can update this if needed by clicking Edit Profile.
From the Homeroom Advisor dropdown, select a user or search for their name. All Admins and Teacher/Advisor level users will display as an option. The advisor will be updated upon selection.
Assign Homeroom Advisor via a Year Group
via the Members tab
Navigate to the Year Group > Members > Homeroom Advisors. From here you can manually assign advisors to students.
Click the drop-down arrow to quickly assign the advisor in the top row to all students below.
Bulk Assign Homeroom Advisors
For larger schools, advisors can also be assigned via the Year Group > Members > Bulk Assign Students.
1. Download our CSV template.
2. Fill in the CSV file with either student ID OR student email, and Advisor email. Do not edit the field names or columns along the top row and leave any columns that you don't need (e.g. Extended Essay Advisor) blank.
3. Upload the file via Choose File and click Bulk assign.
Via Homeroom > Attendance > selecting the programme, Homeroom Advisors will see their list of assigned students to mark attendance for. Students are filtered by year group programme and sorted alphabetically by Last Name.
Click from the enabled attendance categories, such as P: Present, A: Absent, L: Late, etc., to record attendance.
Mark individual students, or select via the dropdown to Mark All As.
Once the attendance is marked, you can click the bubble icon to leave a comment.
Homeroom advisors can view attendance across days via selecting a particular day from the calendar.
Click the Calendar icon to view Homeroom Attendance records across terms and as a percentage.
On the right-hand side, homeroom advisors can view a Daily Homeroom Summary of today's Homeroom Attendance.
They can also view the time attendance was Last Updated and Export to Excel daily, weekly, and monthly attendance logs.
Homeroom Attendance Tips:
- Homeroom Attendance marked as Absent will be reflected in the student's classes for the day, to give context to class teachers.
- If Substitute Recording has been enabled within your Attendance Settings, Homeroom Advisors will not only see those students they are assigned to, but also any student that is in a class that they are a teacher in.
- Attendance not recorded is automatically marked as Present at midnight on your school's account. This means you can just focus on those who were not Present, and update accordingly.
- If you do not find a student in your roster that you need to record attendance for, check if you are assigned as their Homeroom Advisor, either via the students profile, or via the Year Group members tab. Click to read more about Assigning Homeroom Advisors.
Enabling Substitute Recording
It's only possible to assign 1 Homeroom Advisor to each student on Managebac. Thus, if you wish for more than 1 teacher in a PYP Homeroom class to be able to record homeroom attendance for the students in the class, you may wish to enable substitute recording.
Navigate to Settings > Attendance & Calendar > Programme-level > IB Primary Years. Tick Enable Substitute Recording.
With this enabled, the students that will show for PYP advisors will include:
- Students who the advisor is assigned to as their Homeroom Advisor AND
- All other students in the IB Primary Years class(es) they are a teacher in.
Note: This setting will automatically be enabled for all teachers in IB Primary Years if enabled.
Granting Attendance Manager Permission
The Attendance Manager allows administrators, and teachers with permission to access the tab, to record daily attendance without going into the classes or homerooms themselves.
Enable for an Individual
You can grant this permission by navigating to a teacher/advisor's profile and clicking Edit Profile.
Navigate to Access & Permissions > tick Attendance and Save Changes to grant them access to the Attendance Manager.
Enable for multiple Teachers/Advisors
You can configure attendance permissions for multiple teachers by navigating to the Settings > Security & Permissions > Teachers & Advisors > Individual Permissions > checking the box under Attendance next to the teacher's name and saving changes.
Note: This grants the user full access to view and update attendance records for all students across all programmes and grade levels, past and present.
Click here to learn more about Recording Attendance via the Attendance Manager.
If "Advisor" is enabled in the report template, the Homeroom Advisor will also be displayed on your term reports.
Note: Only available if the Reports module has been enabled on your account.
You can enable the Homeroom Advisor to show on the term reports via the Cover Sheet tab of your report template.
Click here to read more on configuring class timetables.