Once students have been imported to your schools account and subject classes have been created, the next step is to add students to their classes. This can be done in two ways:
1. Bulk Add Students to classes (this can only be done by an admin and all classes must have unique class IDs).
2. Add Students Manually (this can be done by teachers if the class is not locked)
It's important to assign students to the correct classes because gradebook marks and comments will not be transferred if a student needs to be transferred from one class to another.
Adding Students to Classes in Bulk
ManageBac administrators can assign students to classes in bulk via the See all classes tab. On the right navigation panel, click Bulk Assign Students.
Download the csv template by clicking on Downloading our CSV template.
You can then prepare the Excel CSV template containing:
- Either Student E-mail or Student ID
- Unique Class ID
These fields will be used to match your students to the correct classes. One row will correspond to one student's class assignment. The average student will have 6 to 8 rows.
Note: Use the Existing Class Export as reference for current class rosters. Navigate to Classes > See all Classes > Export to Excel or Export to CSV Template.
Once you are finished filling in the template, make sure that the document is saved as a CSV file.
There are two options when bulk assigning students:
- Bulk Assign: This will assign the students to the classes on the list.
- Bulk Assign and Remove: This will assign the students to the classes on the list by replacing all previously uploaded assignments.
IMPORTANT: The Bulk Assign and Remove option should only be used when importing your master class assignments list. It should never be used for partial or incomplete lists.
Adding Students to Classes Individually
After creating classes, teachers or administrators can add students to each class by clicking Add students in the Members > Students tab.
Note: Teachers will not be able to add students if the class memberships have been locked by an admin.
You can add students by checking their names on the list, and clicking Add Selected Students at the end of the list.
1. Students are listed by curriculum programme & grade level. You can filter the students by grade level using the Year menu. Within the grade level, you can search for a student through the Quick Search field.
2. Once you have entered a student’s name, you will be able to select him/her from the list. Note: If you do not find a student in the system, please contact your coordinator to ensure that the student's account has been created.
3. To save changes, click Add Selected Students.
Allow Students to join Classes on their own
If classes are unlocked for Students, they are able to search and join classes via the Classes tab. If you do not wish for students to join or leave classes, it's recommended to Lock Class Memberships.
Assign Teachers to Classes in Bulk
Via See all Classes > Bulk Assign Teachers
First, click to download our CSV template.
Complete CSV template
Enter in the required fields (Class ID and Teacher Email)
Note that all class IDs and teachers must already exist in your ManageBac account.
You can assign more than one teacher to a class by adding each teacher and class ID on a new row. Configure which teacher is shown on reports.
Upload your CSV
Adding or Removing Class Teachers Individually
Teachers can be added or removed from a class via the Classes > Members > Teachers tab. Click Add New Teacher or if you are replacing a teacher, select the teacher from the dropdown menu. Note, teachers will need to have had an account created for them prior to allocating.
Remove teachers via the Delete check box. Click Save Changes to finish the assignment.
Allow Teachers to Create or Join classes
Teachers with Class permissions will be able to Create their own classes via Classes > See all classes > Add New Class. Configure this setting for all teachers or individually via User Permissions.
Classes that are not locked for teachers will allow other teachers to join or leave. If you wish to restrict teachers from joining or leaving classes, see Locking Class Memberships