How to Assess Students via the Class Term Gradebook
Note: Pre-requisites for Term Grades assessment:
- Classes must be created, with both students & teachers added as members.
- Term Grades Assessment Framework will need to be configured by an admin. To read more, click here.
Types of PYP Classes
There are two types of classes that can be created on ManageBac for PYP, either:
- Specialist Class (single subject)
Depending on the class type configured for you, your gradebook will differ. Within Homeroom classes teachers will be able to assess:
Specialist classes will only show content related to the subject found in the class settings.
Within a Specialist Class, you will be able to assess:
Please note that in some cases, schools will opt to have both Homeroom and Subject teachers provide feedback within a single Homeroom gradebook.
If you are a single subject teacher entering your grades into a Homeroom gradebook, you are able to filter the gradebook for content related to your subject by using the Subject filter on the right-hand side.
Please note that this guide will cover all possible assessment types, and may not reflect exactly what is configured in your school account.
Accessing the Term Gradebook
via your class > Gradebook > Term Grades.
Select the Term dropdown to change the academic term that grades are added to, or view grades from a previous term in the same year.
To enter the grades for another student, click the student name to select another student from the drop-down.
How Standards are added to your Term Gradebook
For Subjects, Approaches to Learning and Learner Profile assessment, your administrator will choose between the following two options:
- Only assess standards that have been selected in units during the selected term will automatically display any ATL skills, Learner Profile, and Subjects along with their Strand and/or Leaning Outcomes chosen in units in the gradebook for assessment.
- Allow Teachers to choose which standards to assess in their class will permit you to select the specific ATL skills and Learner Profile in addition to the Strands and/or Learning Outcomes to grade within the Gradebook.
If the first option is selected, you will automatically see your gradebook populated, and can start entering in your assessment marks using comments or the criteria model set up by the administrators.
To view a description of the values of the criteria model, please refer to the Evaluation Criteria found on the right-hand side.
If the second option is selected, you will have the ability to select your own standards regardless of what was entered into the unit planner's gradebook. Please read below on how to add these standards to each section.
Adding an Observation Comment
A unit will appear in the gradebook for assessment if the following conditions are met:
- More than 50% of its duration falls within the selected term.
- The unit template type has been enabled for assessment by your administrator.
- The unit is not drafted or archived.
Within a unit, you will be able to assess the below items. This content is pulled into the term gradebook directly from the unit planner and therefore any changes must be done within the unit planner.
- Overall Unit Assessment
- Scope & Sequence (Subjects)
- Approaches to Learning (ATLs)
- Learner Profile Attributes
Please note that the units will appear within the term gradebook sequentially by date.
Assess Single Subjects by Scope & Sequence or Comment
The scope & sequence enabled in the unit plans taught during the selected term will then appear for assessment.
Using the dropdown menu, you can assign a grade value to each item of scope & sequence, based on your pre-configured Assessment Models.
By default, unassessed items will not display on the report cards. You can, however, enable the option to 'Show unassessed learning outcomes' via Generate Reports > IB Enhanced Primary Years > Edit Template > Summary.
For subjects with scope & sequence organised by Phase, you will see the phases beneath the subject name.
If scope & sequence items are missing from the gradebook, navigate back to the unit planners taught in the term and enable any missing scope & sequence items. See Creating a Unit of Inquiry for further guidance.
- If Allow teachers to choose which standards to assess in their class has been enabled in setting up Assessment settings, teachers will not see a list of outcomes covered in unit plans they are teaching. Instead, they will see an Edit button:
- Clicking Edit will show a list of all scope & sequences for all subjects & year levels, so teachers can select which outcomes should be assessed on:
- At the bottom of the page, teachers will be asked if they wish to apply these changes to all classes with this subject enabled, or if they wish to make it specific to that classroom. To standardize the gradebooks for all classes in a year level with that subject, select the first option. You can see which classes the changes will be synced to in list form:
Assessing Approaches to Learning (ATLs)
Via the settings, Admins can choose between:
- Only assess standards that have been selected in units during the selected term will automatically display any ATL skills tracked in units in the gradebook for assessment.
- Allow Teachers to choose which standards to assess in their class will permit teachers to select the specific ATL skills to grade, independently of what has been tracked in units throughout the term.
In the example above, we have not permitted teachers to select the ATL skills directly from the gradebook. Thus the teachers will need to select the ATLs in Units taking place in the term, for them to appear for assessment.
Via the ATLs section of a unit, teachers can select the skills covered and Save Changes.
Then, via the class gradebook, teachers can select the criteria values for assessment and leave a comment.
Assessing Learner Profiles
Learner Profiles enabled in the units taught during the term will appear for assessment in the term gradebook, along with a comment box with text formatting options.
Note: If your term gradebook is not configured to your assessment needs, please have your PYP Coordinator or Administrator adjust your assessment settings.
Rubrics allow you to assess custom items within the term gradebook independent of any curriculum components.
Example: You can use Rubrics to assess student Effort.
You can view a legend displaying the Rubrics values along with their descriptors on the right-hand side to reference while assessing your students.
Note: The option to assess rubrics firstly needs to be enabled by an Admin in PYP Assessment settings.
1. I am a specialist teacher entering my grades into a Homeroom class, but I am unable to view my subject.
If your subject assessment options aren’t visible, check the subject filter to the right-hand side of the page. The filter allows teachers to show and hide subjects to allow for a more refined view, ensuring teachers are only seeing content relevant to them.
2. I am trying to assess a Unit, but I am not able to see it in my term gradebook.
If a unit is not showing in a gradebook for a particular term, check the unit’s start and end via the Unit Calendar and adjust the start month, week, and duration via the Summary.
3. I can see my unit under the Tasks & Units tab, but I don’t see it in my Term Gradebook
If you are unable to view a unit within your term gradebook, you should first check Summary to see if 50% or more of its duration is within the selected term.
If so, you should reach out to your administrator to ensure that the template you have selected has been permitted to appear in the gradebook.